The GS516TP 16-port ProSAFE Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch can work as a PD (powered device) that can get power from another PSE device via port 15 or/and port 16. Meanwhile, it can also deliver power to other PoE compliant devices that are connected to its PoE ports (Port 1 to 8).
This switch also provides the benefit of administrative management with a complete package of features for the observation, configuration, and control of the network. With a web-based graphical user interface (GUI), the switch’s many capabilities can be viewed and used in a simple and intuitive manner. The switch’s management features include:
• Configuration for port and switch information
• VLAN for traffic control
• Port trunking for increased bandwidth
• Class of Service (CoS) for traffic prioritization
These features provide better understanding and control of the network. Initial discovery of the switch on the network requires the Smart Control Center program, a utility that runs on a computer.
The switch can be freestanding or rack mounted in a wiring closet or equipment room. It is IEEE compliant and offers low latency for high-speed networking. All ports can automatically negotiate to the highest speed. This capability makes the switch ideal for environments that have a mix of Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, or Gigabit Ethernet devices. In addition, all RJ-45 ports operate in half-duplex or full-duplex mode. The maximum segment length is 328 feet (100 meters) over Category 5 unshielded twisted-pair (UTP) cable.
• Sixteen 10/100/1000 Mbps AutoSensing Gigabit Ethernet switching ports.
• The first eight ports are PoE (Power over Ethernet) PSE ports providing up to 15.4W of DC power.
• Ports 15 and 16 are PD ports receiving power from power devices.
• Full compatibility with IEEE standards:
- IEEE 802.3i (10BASE-T)
- IEEE 802.3u (100BASE-TX)
- IEEE 802.3ab (1000BASE-T)
- IEEE802.3af (DTE Power via MDI)
- IEEE802.3at (DTE Power via MDI Enhancements)
- IEEE802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet)
- IEEE 802.3x (Full-duplex flow control)
• AutoSensing and autonegotiating capabilities for all ports.
• Auto Uplink™ on all ports to make the right connection.
• Automatic address learning function to build the packet-forwarding information table. The table contains up to 8 K Media Access Control (MAC) addresses.
• Store-and-forward transmission to remove bad packets from the network.
• Full-duplex IEEE 802.3x pause frame flow control.
• Active flow control to minimize packet loss and frame drops.
• Half-duplex backpressure control.
• LEDs. Power LED, FAN Status LED, Max PoE LED, and LEDs for each port.
• Internal open frame power supply.
• Standard NETGEAR 5xx series chassis.
• NETGEAR Green product series power-saving features:
- Automatic power consumption adjustment based on the RJ-45 cable length.
- Per-port automatic power down when the port link is down.
• IEEE802.3az, EEE (Energy Efficient Ethernet) compliance.